eCommerce stores are one of the best ways to earn an income online. And there’s a little secret behind the success of many happy store owners.
In this tutorial we will see three steps to create a website like amazon
- Step 1. Which Website Platform to use and why (CMS)
- Step 2. How to choose your Domain name & Hosting provider
- Step 3. How to Install the Website Platform & Classifieds Them
Step 1: Choosing the website platform
We recommend that you use an established website platform top build your site like Amazon. The platform is commonly called the “Content Management System” or as we will use throughout this guide, the CMS.
Why should you be using a Content Management System for your website build?
The answer to this is simple – a CMS makes things a whole lot easier.
A good CMS will provide you with all the tools you need to create and manage your website, without stepping into a classroom for 3 years (or doing a long online course) on computer code and web design.
The CMS allows the website owner to control every aspect of their site using an intuitive interface, once you log in you can change themes (to control the look of your site) add plugins (to control the functionality of your site) and of course add content such as words, pictures and videos.
If that wasn’t enough, the world’s most popular CMS (a system called WordPress) is extremely easy to use, while being absolutely free to install.
Why WordPress is the easy choice for your Multivendor website?
Well we’ve covered two maor points already, WordPress is free and easy to use. Let’s dig a bit deeper however:
- The internet has an almost endless supply of WordPress tutorials (video, written content and courses) covering everything you would ever need to know about building and managing your site.
- WordPress has a ton of options when it comes to e-commerce. From premium themes (much like we will discuss below); to sophisticated plugins that will do all the work of running a multi-vendor product website for you.
- Your site will be ‘responsive’ meaning it will look good on all screen sizes.
- The company behind WordPress strives to keep it regularly updated. The CMS provides high quality website performance, functionality and security.
Step 2: Choosing your Web Host & Domain Name
Now we’re making some progress. With stage 2 you will start the process of purchasing the necessary services to launch your new online e-commerce business; namely your web hosting and domain name.
Let’s take a brief moment to explain those services:
- Domain Name – The domain name is the address that your website uses so that people can find it. www.Amazon.com is a domain name. All websites need one of these.
- Web Hosting – Another essential element of any website is the web hosting. This is the service that you use to store all your website data so that users can access your site 24/7.
Step 3: Installing WordPress & a Multi-Vendor e-Commerce Theme
This installation depends on the web hoster, here you will find how to install wordpress for the most known web hosting companies
install a Multi-Vendor e-Commerce WordPress Theme
With the WordPress installation complete, we can now turn your website into the Amazon clone that you are after.
First you should login to the WordPress admin panel. (Do this by adding /wp-admin after your domain name, as in: mydomain.com/wp-admin)
The login page will ask for the credentials you created during the WordPress install. Type these in to see the screen below.
Welcome to the main WordPress admin area.
As explained when we covered the CMS details earlier, the WordPress admin area will allow you to publish new content, install plugins, and with the aid of a theme, give your site the look and function of a successful e-commerce store.
It is also the place where we will install our fancy website theme.
So let’s go and purchase that now…
Where to Buy the best Premium WordPress Themes
[Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.]
There are a too many WordPress theme marketplaces to list.
However, when buying a new theme you will want to make sure the market place you are buying from is trusted.
Reputable marketplaces will offer extensive customer support, as well as a strict quality review process on the themes that they list for sale.
The following market places are what we rate as the best:
- Elegant Themes
- Template Monster
- Engine Themes
- Thrive Themes
- Theme Fuse
- Theme Furnace